Friday, May 16, 2008

Banana Smoothie


I had a CT scan yesterday on my kidneys. I was surprised when the nurse told me the day before to go to the pharmacy and pick up a prep kit. I was a little worried about what that might entail but happy to find out it just consisted of two big bottles of "Banana Smoothie Barium"! I appreciate the fact that pharmacists have come up with a flavor to try to cover the chalky taste. I had to drink half a bottle Wednesday night and then half a bottle at 7, 8 and 9:00 the next morning. By my 9:00 feeding it pretty much tasted like chalk to me and I wasn't allowed water to wash it down. I have to say it was filling though. I didn't go to the hospital hungry.


After signing my life away and Kent's future paychecks the scan began. Apparently the barium was so they could see what wasn't my kidneys because they inserted an IV and gave me some iodine. Before doing so the technician warned me it could make me feel warm, have a funny taste in my mouth and a funny smell, and/or make me feel like I'd wet my pants! I was hoping for the first three. Of course I got the last one. I'm so glad he warned me or I would have been freaking out (in my head at least) on the table.


The whole process only took half an hour and I still have no results. If I ever have to have the test again I think I'll wear a Depends just in case.

4 comments:

Nanette said...

I like the new look of your site. That picture of Logan is so funny. Do you have any depends or do you need me to buy you some?

suzy said...

Are you glad it's over? One time I had a free sample of depends sent to my mom. I bet she still has it somewhere.

The Dance Source said...

That is so gross. I'm sorry that you had to do that. I'm glad that you got good results and hopefully now you can cross your kidney's off of your list. I saw some depends in your basement...just so you know. :)

Kent said...

The next time you are craving a banana smoothie, let me take you to SONIC. It will cost me considerable less.

On a serious note, this test indicated that there is nothing wrong with your kidneys. Let's hope that they will soon figure out what is causing your pain.