Sunday, September 7, 2008

Labor Day (Finally)

I know Labor Day was a week ago, but I'm slow and our whole family has had the stomach flu. When I say the whole family, I mean the WHOLE family. Well, Katie has some kind of magic pregnancy antibodies because she didn't get it and we didn't transmit it via email to Dane, but even Chris (I never get sick Gamble) and Melanie (I refuse to throw up Jensen) got it.

But I digress. Back to Labor Day weekend. Naomi had to labor (on Labor Day weekend! :0) so sadly she wasn't able to go with us, but the rest of us, Nanette, Chris, Ethan, Logan, Kent, Nick, Caleb and I went to Rawlins to visit Katie and Aaron.

On Saturday we went to Martin's Cove which is only 45 minutes away from Rawlins. It was a hot day and we were grateful for the ever present Wyoming wind. After a picnic lunch of good old peanut butter and homemade raspberry jam sandwiches we pulled a handcart on a 5 mile round trip trek. I should be honest and say that some pushed and some pulled and some just walked like I did. I even rode part of the way back. Ethan enjoyed riding in the handcart and Logan rode in an umbrella stroller in the handcart and even took a nap part of the way. Only Chris, Aaron, Nick & Caleb made it all the way to the Cove itself, but we had a wonderful, if exhausting, time together and once again decided we are glad to live now and not in pioneer times.That night Katie & Aaron's dog was sprayed by a skunk, which was an experience I hope to never have again, but I'll leave that for her blog.

Katie & Aaron spoke in their Sacrament Meeting the next day (which is one of the reasons we went to Rawlins) and did a great job. It was there that our first sign of the flu showed up though. Logan threw up and unbeknownst to Kent was throwing up again as Kent was rushing him out and got it on the bench in front of us and on the little girl's back that was sitting on that bench in front of us. Aaron did a good job of continuing his talk while this was going on center stage a few rows in front of him. Luckily we were all well the next day so we could travel home, but then the fun began!

Speaking of the trip home: We stopped in Kemmerer, Wyoming to eat dinner about 7:00. There weren't many options but I was excited that there was an Arctic Circle because I love their halibut and fries. We pulled up to park and this is what we saw on the door:

How dumb is that? Besides the bad grammar, what about running to the grocery store? I guess that's not fair because I don't know what time they had "ran" out. I was just upset that I didn't get my halibut. My turkey on wheat from Subway was almost as good though. Little did I know it was the best meal I would have for many days. I hope to become once again Melanie (I refuse to throw up) Jensen.

2 comments:

Chris Gamble said...

I think Martin's Cove was the highlight of my weekend there is an amazing Spirit there. The second was definitely Logan puking on the girl. The third, major stench from Wesson. What a weekend!

Nanette said...

I love the picture. For a second I thought Dad had wings coming out of his head! :) I am so glad that we got to spend time together for Labor Day. It was a lot of fun. I am especially glad that we all got to share the flu. It was so much fun. Ha ha.