Monday, August 25, 2008

STANLEY!

I'm having an endoscopy tomorrow. It will be a piece of cake compared to the colonoscopy I had a couple of months ago because there is no prep. The colonoscopy was at my doctor's small surgical center though which is nice. Because of insurance restrictions this time the endoscopy will happen at the hospital. I had a bad experience there 5 years ago when I had my first colonoscopy, with a man named Stanley that I never met. I was behind a curtain hooked up to an IV, waiting for my turn and apparently Stanley was already having his turn because I could hear the doctor and nurses yelling to him to "hold still Stanley", "don't pull that out Stanley", "lie down Stanley" and things like that. I was worried about and for Stanley. Then they brought him to the curtained area next to me and it got worse. By the time they came to get me I was in tears and ready to run for it even if my gown wouldn't cover my escape! Come to find out, Stanley had had a bad reaction to the anesthetic and was out of control and everything went okay for me. I think I'll ask if Stanley is there tomorrow BEFORE I put on the gown. (By the way, isn't it funny that you have to wear a hospital gown when they're just putting a camera down your throat?)

2 comments:

Nanette said...

That is a funny, but scary story. I would've freaked out too! I hope that everything goes well. :)

suzy said...

That does suck that you still have to wear a gown. Just ask if you can stay in your clothes, I bet they will let you. Good luck!!