It occurred to me last night that I am addicted to reality TV. We have a DVR and the only shows that I record are talk shows and reality shows. Kent has it set to record "Crusoe" once a week and I watch that with him, but otherwise, these are the only shows I watch:
I used to watch these shows until KJZZ pulled out of Direct TV and we don't get that channel anymore:
So what does it say about me that I watch a lot of reality TV? Here are some possibilities I came up with:
1. There are a lot of reality shows on TV. If you're going to waste your time watching TV like I do, (not fully watching because I'm usually on my laptop too, and I fast forward through the commercials so it takes less time) you're going to watch some reality TV.
2. The only other options on TV are crime series (not my cup of tea) and garbage series. I apologize to all "Office" fans. I'm sure that show has some good points. I have personally not found them. I didn't get hooked in the beginning and now if I try to watch it, it seems dumb and crude to me. Just my opinion. I know many people felt the same way about Gilmore Girls, a series I was addicted to and hated to see end.
3. There is something I find very interesting about other people's lives. We all have our differences but deep down we just want to be loved. At least I think the people on "True Beauty" feel that way. They sure love themselves enough!
4. There is a sense of being a part of people's lives and sharing in their disappointments, mistakes, triumphs, etc. Way to go Bachelor Jason for sending the right girl home this week!
5. These shows are also educational. From "Jon and Katie Plus 8" I learn how not to talk to my husband, but also how to be better organized. From "17 and Counting" I've learned all sorts of things. Including being thankful I only have 6 kids. Those Duggars are amazing though! My family is probably happy that I can't watch "The Doctors" anymore because I was constantly sharing medical tips. I did watch a boot camp for potty training and gave Nanette some pointers that will hopefully be helpful.
Is anyone else addicted to reality TV? Do you have any explanations for its appeal?












7 comments:
I have to agree. Although I think a big part of my adictivness (probably not a word) is your fault :) We haven't had tv at our house for the last little while, but since I've been here I tell what day it is by what's on tv that night lol! Hey these shows create bonding time right?!
True, and it's fun to discuss who should be kicked off next or whatever. Sorry I fast forward through the commercials so you never know what new movies are playing in the theaters!
There are three shows that Melanie watches that I can only take so much of - (1) the Duggars, (2) Jon & Kate plus 8, and (3) Little People Big World. Give me a good episode of "Hogan's Heros" or and old "Andy Griffith" anytime.
I too am a reality TV-holic, I love just about all the same shows you do. I have never seen that True Beauty. When does it come on and what station??
I don't get to watch TV (besides cartoons) that much, but I did watch American Idol last night. It is hard to tell how much is reality and how much is "staged" in these shows. What really upset me was when they picked the TOP 36. It seems like they picked some of the people, just because they were eccentric and would make the show interesting, not because they were really good singers; and then they left other singers, who were better, out. Ok, there is my American Idol Speel (I don't know how to spell it).
Charissa, True Beauty is on ABC right after the Bachelor. They judge people on their inner beauty too, although the "Beauties" don't know that. They test them on their compassion, etc. This week though they showed a rerun on Monday and showed the new episode on Tuesday so I don't know what it will be like next week.
I agree with you that reality tv is probably the best sort of tv you could be watching, because for the most part it is actually real. And also, it's nice sometimes to watch somebody else's life and forget about your own troubles, at least for a little bit. And once you watch one episode-you have to watch the next to see what's going to happen!
Post a Comment