Saturday, April 25, 2009

Wyoming Adventures

I just spent the week in Rawlins with the Willdens. Katie and I had some adventures beginning on Monday morning. We had very little food in the house and no car so we decided to walk to Pizza Hut for lunch. We bundled little Braiden up in his stroller (it was warm but very windy) and set out. It turned out to be a longer walk than we imagined and I'm sure the pioneers didn't complain like we did. Little shuttle buses kept passing us and Katie was surprised to find out that Rawlins had somewhat of a transit system but we never saw any bus stops. Believe me, we were looking. We finally made it to the restaurant and had a delicious pizza buffet. Katie was jokingly tempted to ask the young waitress what time she got off work and could she give us a ride home. At least I think she was joking. It turns out that the waitress was excited to be getting a car that day. She'd walked to work all winter. No sympathy there. After doing a little shopping at Alco for fabric for Braiden's curtains and a dowel, Katie suggested we try a short cut home. Between her house and the stores was a field about a half mile long. If we cut through it instead of going around it, it would save us a lot of time. We decided to try it. We didn't get very far before we were carrying the stroller. It was a sandy, weedy, dry mud wasteland. There was a pond with a shopping cart halfway sunk in it and we pictured the last person to use it being in the pond also. Needless to say, we didn't go very far before we turned around and went back. I almost left my flip flop in the mud. It wasn't until we were out of the "swamp" that we saw the sign that said, "Danger - Do Not Enter". We eventually made it home and later I measured the distance we walked with the car odometer and it was 3 miles, not including the trespassing trip.



Here's some cute pictures of Braiden. More adventures in the next post.

3 comments:

Charissa & Don Bishop said...

That is hilarious! I can just picture it all in my head. I hope you went to the grocery store once Aaron came home! 3 miles is long! I do a loop here at home that is 3 miles and it takes me close to an hour! Way to go!

Nanette said...

I am amazed that you guys walked that far. Even though it wasn't fun at least it was good exercise!

The Dance Source said...

LOL! I even laughed harder reading your story than I did when it really happened. What were we thinking? :) Even though it was crazy I still had a lot of fun...even though I don't think that our bodies appreciated our little trek, I was definitely feeling it that night. I'm glad you could come and stay with us for a few days! We really appreciated your help and love when you come to visit! :) Love you mom!