Monday, July 7, 2008

July 4th Celebration & More

There were 12 of us celebrating together at the Jensen house this year. It was our first 4th of July without Dane, but our first with Aaron and Logan so we were +1. Even though the day was so hot, Aaron and Katie helped me finish planting flowers. I'm really late planting this year and the local smaller garden center was out of bedding flowers so I had to hunt around to find some at Kmart.
After eating delicious grilled steak we gathered for the best (but nerve wracking) fire works display we've ever had on our street. Logan and Wesson (Katie & Aaron's dog) weren't too sure about the loud fountains, but everyone loved the beautiful colors and even the surprises that were in that supposedly legal package of fireworks.

Then we set up our air mattresses on the deck to watch a movie Kent projected on the house and to sleep outside. It's been awhile since we've slept out under the stars like we used to but it was a lot of fun and hopefully we can do it again soon. Hopefully next time the garbage trucks aren't coming at 7 in the morning and Ethan and Logan don't get up at 6:30!
Naomi & Ethan watching "Alvin & the Chipmunks"

Nanette, Chris, Katie & Aaron watching the movie
Even though Ethan hadn't had a full night's sleep, he was my best helper the next morning. He's learning to fold towels and one of his favorite things to do is vacuum. Nothing is more exciting to him though then watering my flowers. Some water even gets on the flowers!
I got a cute video of Logan being his happy self:

6 comments:

Chris Gamble said...

It sure was a fun 4th of July. Sorry we got up there later than planned and had to leave early the next day. We just had so much to do and so little time. I'm thinking next year, we should all meet at Katie's, I will probably stay in a hotel to avoid overcrowding with an animal (I like their dog, but I don't like allergies). But we should all buy tons of awesome fireworks and avoid the anxiety of "legality".

suzy said...

Sounds like you had fun. I love the 4th of July so much more since I've had kids than I used to. You get to a certain age when parades and fireworks are not that cool. But then you have kids and they are suddenly cooler than ever. I bet it is even better with grandkids.

Nanette said...

That was a lot of fun and I can't wait to do it again. You took some really good pictures that I am going to have to steal. :) Ethan is such a good helper and I hope he will stay that way as he gets older. Logan sure is a ham when it comes to the camera.

The Dance Source said...

That are such a cute video and pictures! I shouldn't visit your blog anymore because you are sure putting mine to shame. :) jk I have to put in my vote to that the 4th rocked!!! Yay for "legal" fireworks!

Kent said...

One of my favorite things to do while sleeping outside is to look for shooting stars or satellites. Sadly enough, I didn't see anything on the 4th. But it was still a fun day. And the fireworks display rivaled "Stadium of Fire". The story behind the fireworks - Katie & Aaron brought them from Wyoming. They were told that they were legal-in-Utah fireworks. The first few that we lit were tame. But then we lit one that after spewing a pretty fountain for a few seconds began shooting rockets into the air. On of them tipped over and was shooting rockets up and down the street. It was actually exciting.

Megan Passey said...

I think I need to take Blogging lessons from you Melanie! Your blog looks awesome!!! Ben and I are getting internet soon so hopefully I'll update mine more often!