Saturday, November 15, 2008

No Data

Well, I have no data to compute in my hello world experiment. I've been sick all week and have only left the house twice; once to meet with the Bishop for a new calling and once to go to the doctor.
This is the second time in six weeks that I have predicted wrong on my new calling. Six weeks ago when I was called in I was sure it was to be the ward bulletin/newsletter editor. That position had just become available and I have to admit I was kind of aspiring to it. It's right up my alley. I was surprised to be called as relief society pianist. I haven't had a piano calling for a long time so that was nice. Since this position was so new I was taken aback when the Bishop called me in for another position. This time I was sure it was to be a relief society teacher because I know there are two teachers needed. Boy was I way off. I haven't been sustained yet so I can't tell you what it is, but do you have any guesses? (No fair spilling the beans children of mine!)
Saying hello to people in the doctor's office when you're not feeling well and the other occupants are either sick or hiding behind magazines is awkward. I was extra friendly to the receptionist and medical assistant though. By the way, I have new incentive to lose weight. I am so tired of stepping on the scale at the doctor's office and the girl has guessed wrong and has to move the next big weight up. I feel like I need to state a disclaimer of "start at 150" everytime I step on the scale the same way I have to tell them "listen for it low" every time they take my blood pressure. I've also learned to come prepared so that when they ask me if I'm on any medications I can whip the list out of my pocket. I have to admit that I had some fun with the same girl who must think I weigh 120 pounds. She asked me when my last period was and I told her, "October 3rd.... 1992." She turned a little red as she looked at my chart and saw that I'd had a hysterctomy. We got a good laugh.
Tomorrow is the last day of my experiment and hopefully I'll feel like going to church so I can try it out. We have a new ward in our building and I don't know many of their members. We pass them as they're coming into the chapel and we're going out. I'll have to see how many people I can say hi to in 5 minutes.

1 comment:

The Van Tassell's said...

Ha ha, October 3rd 1992? That's so funny! I bet she felt way dumb, but I'm glad you guys got a good laugh out of it :) Maybe you'll just have to extend your experiment another week so that you make sure you have a chance to say hello to as many people as possible ;)