Thursday, October 16, 2008

Embarrassing Moment #1

(There are two more embarrassing moment posts below!)
I don't know if I'm the only woman who sometimes has problems deciding what to wear, but especially on Sunday mornings I try on more than one outfit before I finally find the outfit I want to wear to church. That's what happened one Sunday morning in California when Nanette was a baby. We were running late and it was one of those days when I didn't like anything I put on. Finally out of desperation I threw on my turquoise Velcro dress that I had previously tried on. It was one of my favorite dresses. It velcroed down the front. We rushed off to church and being late had to sit on the front row of the chapel. I don't remember how long it was before Kent put his arm around me and realized that something was wrong. There was a shoulder pad hanging there. On further examination, there was one on the other shoulder too. Oh, no! My dress was inside out! Tags, seams, interfacing, but mostly the offensive shoulder pads were exposed for all to see, and we were on the front row. I remember shrinking down in the pew and using Nanette's baby blanket to cover myself as much as possible until the meeting was over and I could run to the bathroom. I can't remember if I ever wore it again, but I learned my lesson not to trust a velcro dress!

This is the only picture I could find of the dress.
Nanette was about 6 months old.
Who is that guy with all the hair?
Speaking of hair, perms were never kind to me.
I think Logan looks like Nanette.

3 comments:

suzy said...

That is one good looking family. I'm being serious. I even like the perm. Maybe cause I hate my flat hair, but I think big hair is sexy. And I like that dress. Pretty hilarious story. Did you wait until everyone left the chapel? Haha, pretty embarrassing. That is why we sit in the back no matter what. I wish people wore dresses more. Too many skirts out there. I really wish everyone wore dresses like Grandma did when you guys were kids. I love wearing dresses, but I need everyone else to be too or I feel weird. Man, Kent looks like a cradle robber in this picture. Do you love being married to an "older man"?

Melanie said...

I think people are moving more into dresses instead of skirts. Be brave Suzy!

We eventually realized that Kent looked more my age when he had short hair and was clean shaven. Shaven? Is that a word?

It was so nice to marry an older man because he graduated college the same year I graduated high school. I was very spoiled! Now we're both in our 40's and it doesn't matter on ages (except when I tease him about how old he is!)

Nanette said...

That is so embarassing. I would be so mortified. A few weeks ago my skirt almost fell off while I was walking down the hall, but I think I caught it before anyone saw. That will teach me to wear a skirt! That picture does look a lot like Logan. :)